Sunday, August 15, 2010

DIY Project Parade

What a week!  I have a number of different projects going at once! I am loving it!  But dreaming of days off and sleeping in, being served breakfast in bed inspired this DIY project.

Materials:
Old cabinet door
Wood filler
Sandpaper
Paint and Primer (Dutch Boy  - Color:  Lake Champlain)
Milk Paint (Antique White)
Deco Art (Pearl White)
Cutting Edge Stencil (that I used on my daughter's walls)
(2) Cabinet pulls
Deft Clear Gloss Wood Finish
Adhesive Felt

Tools: Foam brushes, Sanding Bug, Drill, Scissors


Here is the cabinet door (before) from any ugly vanity we removed from our powder room.  I removed the brass pull and hinges then gave it a bath.
I grabbed the first screwdriver I could find.  We have more screwdrivers than pens.  Seriously, we can never find a pen but screwdrivers sure are handy.  I need a screwdriver with ink.  Looks like this one is used to open paint cans.
I sanded both sides and wiped it down. Isn't this sanding bug so cute?  Works great on a small project like this too! Since it's not real wood, sanding took some of the faux wood paper off, but I just kept sanding until it was as smooth as I could get it.  One of the things I love most about DIY is the amazing transformation and the little imperfections that make it one of a kind. 
Then I remembered that I needed to fill the holes.  So, I did and sanded again once the wood filler was dry.

These Painter's Pyramids sold at Rockler were really helpful and allowed me to paint on newspaper in the dining room.  They kept the door up off of the newspaper and table.  It's been so hot and muggy outside so this allowed me to pain in the comfort of a cushioned seat and a/c.  So handy!
 

And I wiped it down again before painting. I used foam brush and Dutch Boy Paint/Primer all in one.  It took 2 coats. I'm a paint snob and I was very impressed with this paint! Zero VOC and eliminates household odors (isn't that cool?).  LOVE the color too (Lake Champlain) so you'll be seeing this in future projects! 
I like the easy to open plastic lid (although it takes some muscle to get it open the first time - insert Mr. DIY's help at this point).  The easy pour spout was cool too!
Once the 2nd coat was dry, it needed something in the center.  I taped down my Damask Cutting Edge Stencil.  The entire stencil was too large, but I only used the portion of the stencil that fit my area.

Using a small amount of Milk Paint on my foam brush (I kept wiping it off on a piece of cardboard), I dabbed the areas of the stencil. This was the first time I have used Milk Paint.  I love thick paint and was like pudding.  It looks good enough to eat or maybe that's because of milk in the name and pudding's main ingredient? Milk!  I DO NOT advise eating your milk paint though.
Once that dried, I wanted to give it a little glam so using another foam brush, I added Deco Art Dazzling Metallics Pearl White to the stenciled area.
Then it was a few days before I got back to it but when I did, I sanded the edges a bit to distress it.

Spray both sides and edges with the Clear Semi-Gloss Finish to help protect the wood/paint.What a beautiful finish!

Next mark the areas that need drilled for the handles.  Drill the holes for the handle in the middle of the left and right edges. Attach the handles. Or have a handyman do it for you because you're cleaning up all of the DIY materials and supplies before guests arrive for a party you're having in a few hours.  Of course, that's my experience.  My day was chores/DIY and hosting a party but I'm crazy like that and love when I can squeeze DIY into my schedule.
After the handles were attached, I traced circles onto a piece of adhesive felt, cut them out and attached to the bottom side (1 in each corner) to prevent scratching surfaces.

Ta da!  All done.  A junk door becomes a pretty tray!




I'm donating my Trash to Treasure Tray to the 7th Annual Trash to Treasure Charity Auction in St. Charles, MN, The auction, hosted each year by the Pfarkel Sisters of Junk {Re}defined (in photo above), donates all net proceeds from the auction to Susan G. Komen for the Cure.  If you have a project that you'd like to donate - there's still time (although very little!)  Click the button below for more details!


~*~*~*~
It's also time to vote on your favorite DIY project over at the DIY Club! 

My tray above used at least one of the DIY Club sponsors and it would qualify for September's DIY Club Contest. How about yours? If so, it's so easy to enter and the prizes are awesome!  
Click HERE to vote and get the details!

~*~*~
Now, my favorite time of the week!  
SHOW IT OFF!  What did you DIY lately?


The DIY Show Off

If you'd like to link YOUR DIY project post to The DIY Show Off Project Parade:
  1. You must use the button above and link to this post to share the linky love.
  2. Include your name or blog name and project title. Add your permalink (not your blog url, but your DIY project post url). Feel free to link a Past Post, just invite your readers in a current post with a quick note.
  3. Or email your link to thediyshowoff@gmail.com and I will add it for you.
  4. If you notice your link has disappeared - pleaseadd the link back to The DIY Show Off to your post today with a quick note to your readers about the party and try again! I love when everyone participates and readers check out everyone's links, but I think the return favor of linking back is the nice thing to do so everyone plays fair and enjoys all of the projects and links. Also - this blog party is for DIY projects only. Links not related to DIY will be deleted.