Thursday, April 15, 2010

Happy House Family Room Before & After

When it comes to great before and after makeovers, Molly from My Happy House has great style! I love seeing her transformations.

Here is her post from her most recent makeover:

Family Room: The Official Before & After

When we moved in 2 years ago (seriously it's already been that long???), the entire house just needed some updating. I've shown you here, here, here, here, here and here some of the things we've done. I loved the family room as soon as I saw it, vaulted ceilings, the fireplace, it just seemed like a nice homey kind of room. You know, once you looked past all the bleh stuff that was in it. Take note of the lovely eat in kitchen chandelier. Nice. You can't see it, but there are hearts on the glass parts.


Here it is when we took ownership before any work had been done.


One of our biggest tasks was installing and refinishing the hardwood floors. The family room already had wood floors, but to make sure they looked uniform with the new ones, we refinished them. Ugh. I don't ever really want to have to do that again for the record. Phase one complete. New paint color and the floors were sanded down.




Floors finished.


Then, we replaced the windows (as we did with the rest of the house). Unfortunately, I've married a man with allergies, and by his mother's suggestion, I opted for the blinds between the glass. I'm not 100% thrilled with the outcome, but I do like the fact that we can darken the room and I never have to clean the blinds! Plus, Carl built window casings for every window in the house, and you can see the change in this photo. This is pretty much how the room has looked for about 18 months or so with a few slight changes here and there. It's definitely the room that gets used the most, so I was very anxious to get it finished!


So now, finally, drum roll please! Here it is, about 95% finished, in all it's glory, er maybe it's my glory? I'm pretty excited about it either way.








Here is the breakdown:

  • Painted the walls: Wool Coat by Ace- Flat
  • Refinished the wood floors: Rented equipment from HD and did the labor ourselves
  • Installed new windows & custom window casings: All done ourselves, with my father-in-law
  • Installed surround sound speakers in the ceiling
Furniture & Finishes:
  • Couch, Chair, Rug & Lamps- Pottery Barn
  • Throws and Pillows: Crate & Barrel and PB
  • Side and Coffee Tables- Handmade by Carl (you can see those here)
  • Drapes & Floating Shelves: Ikea
  • Curtain Rod: Bed, Bath & Beyond (I'll show you a secret in another post shortly!)
  • Mantel & Shelving Accessories- Target, Hobby Lobby, PB, Ikea, Crate & Barrel & Macys

Things left to do:
  • Possibly build a sofa table for behind the sectional
  • Repaint...a little down the road- same color, maybe a shade darker
  • Move the shelves over to make them more centered

Molly - YAY! It's beautiful! I can't wait to hear more about the window casings since it's something on my DIY list. The color and new furniture are gorgeous. I love the floating shelves too. The entire room looks beautiful, bigger and more comfortable. You did a fantastic job! Thanks so much for sharing your hard work!

Want to see more of Molly's home, click over to My Happy House to check it out. She chooses beautiful colors throughout her rooms and you'll love her Tackle It Tuesday feature!