Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Staircase Transformation - Opposite Attraction

I love Melinda's staircase transformation. We removed carpet from our stairs too but I've been keeping an eye open for a runner and have even considered painting one. Melinda did a fantastic job. Here is the post from her blog, Opposite Attraction:

Our Staircase Transformation

I recently bought Lance both the first and second Transformer movies and like a little boy he watched them over and over again. :) Now I can relate to my husband's fixation with the Transformers... It reminds me of my fixation with a good before and after. You can never see enough!!

It's from those amazing bloggers, that inspire me to do a little transforming myself. Step over Optimus, and take a look at the before of our staircase:



Pretty rough, huh? There is no telling what that nasty thing would have done to my man's allergies! But I had hope with inspiration from House Beautiful like this:


So after buying a few supplies, I am pleased that the staircase now looks like this:

I kept the original railing and cleaned it and applied polyurethane to it. I did have to replace the bottom tread because underneath all that nastiness...it was broken. The best part is a friend installed it for free!
I love the way it looks up against the hardwood..





Cost Breakdown:
Runner Installation $100.00
Runner: $80.00 LOWES
Hardware: $10.00 LOWES
Kilz: $15.00 WALMART
One Tread: $9.00 LOWES
Polyurethane: GARAGE FREEBIE :)
Dap/Caulk: GARAGE FREEBIE :)
**carpet padding was included in installation**
TOTAL COST: $214.00

I don't know about you, but I love it and the cost? Awesome! Great job Melinda! Thank you so much for sharing your hard work and beautiful transformation! She's a new blogger so pop over and say hi. She posts beautiful inspiration photos and you'll want to check out her nook!

------------------------

This post is brought to you by Tiger Claw hidden deck fasteners - found at DIY Home Center your source for premium & unique products for your home, deck and patio area.