Sunday, October 24, 2010

Our weekend recap and the DIY Project Parade

We were productive in a DIY ADD sort of way this weekend.  Here are some peeks at what we've been up to.  One project to another all weekend long.

1. Mr. DIY installed can lights in the kitchen and a pot rack/3 light fixture.  I took pictures and attempted a tutorial but since I'm not a professional, I didn't feel it would be safe for me to give a step by step using terms like "thingamajig".  But here are some pictures of our DIY process...


After burning out a drill, Mr. DIY discovered that a jab saw (also called key hole saw) cut through the plaster and lathe to open a circle.

Here is how it looks, including fingerprints:



The ceiling fan is no longer there and that old hole in the ceiling is on it's way to being patched but now there are 4 new holes.  3 recess lights and this...

It's the $5 pot rack that I scored at a Habitat garage sale this summer.  
~*~*~*~

2. More progress on the closet - we have shelves!

Mark where the studs are.

Cut 1x2s to create a 3-sided frame to support shelves...

Using a level, screw 1x2s into the studs.

Framework is up and ready to be painted. (Stenciled wallpaper tutorial HERE)

Tip:  I use a Magic Eraser to erase pencil marks on walls.

Paint the supports. I painted mine the same as the wall color. 

Cut shelving (we purchased two 12x97 inch mdf to cut into six 12x31" shelves (two shelves to each support making 3 shelves).


We have shelves!  


~*~*~*~
3. Then these plates

were moved to here (better picture at the reveal)...

I won a print from Sara Norris and here it is all framed and in it's new home...

So, we've been DIY-ing in the kitchen, in the dining room and in the closet.  That means - some reveals coming one of these days!  


Thank you all for stopping by, for commenting and linking up.  Your support and your inspiration motivates us.  :)  




Let's see what you've been up to!




The DIY Show Off


If you'd like to link YOUR DIY project post to The DIY Show Off Project Parade:
  1. You must use the button above and link to this post to share the linky love.
  2. Include your name or blog name and project title. Add your permalink (not your blog url, but your DIY project post url). Feel free to link a Past Post, just invite your readers in a current post with a quick note.
  3. Or email your link to thediyshowoff@gmail.com and I will add it for you.
  4. If you notice your link has disappeared -please add the link back to The DIY Show Off to your post today, a button or a quick note to your readers about the party and try again! I love when everyone participates and readers check out everyone's links, but I think the return favor of linking back is the nice thing to do so everyone plays fair and enjoys all of the projects and links. Also - this blog party is for DIY projects only. Links not related to DIY will be deleted


*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I was one of the bloggers selected by True Value to work on the DIY Squad. I have been compensated for my time commitment to the program as well as my writing about my experience. I have also been compensated for the materials needed for my DIY project. However, my opinions are entirely my own and I have not been paid to publish positive comments.